Tuesday, March 3, 2009

An update and a tag



I've been meaning to update everything and just haven't been able to until now. Sorry! First off, I got tagged a few days ago (thanks Katie! It gave me the motivation to post!) and so here is the picture from the sixth picture folder, the sixth picture. This is McCabe, Courtney and I at Disneyland September 2007. We went with McCabe's family. It was so much fun. Courtney was so good the whole time too! (Sorry the picture is sideways. I've been trying to fix that but it won't work for some reason.)
FYI, Courtney is doing really well. She was up and running around the next day. Her face did swell and bruised more than usual but I'm hoping that means it's working. A few people have asked what lymphatic malformation is. I'll do my best to try to explain it....it is when the lymph vessels keep growing and filling up with fluid. Pretty much its like a fluid-filled cyst. Her's was on the left side of her face (that's where we first noticed it). Courtney had a bruise that would darken and lighten but wouldn't ever go away. We took her in to the doctor, he sent her to a dermatologist at Primary Children's and she referred us to Dr. Rampton, an interventional radiologist at Primary's. They did an MRI and then began doing treatments. We were very lucky because we caught her's very early on. Actually, the biggest part of the malformation was underneath her chin and had it grown more, it would have interfered with her breathing. Anyway! Probably more information than you wanted. You can look it up just know that the pictures that are shown are not anywhere near what Courtney's ever looked like. The pictures scared us really bad....just a warning. The treatments that they give her consist of them putting a needle into the cyst, draining the fluid and then putting in an antibiotic derivative that burns the cyst and causes it to collapse. Courtney's keep coming back, smaller which is good, but hopefully they took care of all of it last week!!! Besides all of this....We haven't been doing too much lately. Connor is growing so fast! I can't believe he will be 4 months this week! He is 12 lbs. 11 oz. and is 25 inches tall!
McCabe's birthday was Feb. 21 (he didn't want me to write anything about it being his birthday, sorry :)). We went to dinner at Boston's. We hadn't gone out to eat forever. It was really fun. Happy late Birthday McCabe!!!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for doing my tag!--I thought this was a simple fun one (don't like the ones that take an hour to fill in.)
I'm glad Courtney is doing well & really hope she's done with the treatments for good!

Alida B. said...

I found your blog semi by accident while doing some google research on Lymphatic Malformations. My son, who will be 8 next week, was born with a severe Lymphatic Malformation that we initially called Cystic Hygroma (although that term isn't used as much anymore.) He was also diagnosed at Primary Children's hospital(...and we are LDS...and we were also sealed in the Bountiful Temple...small world) Although his Dr. was Dr. Muntz. Anyway, they tried injections and it was unsuccessful so at 16 mos they had to surgically remove the malformation in a 5 hour surgery Anyway, long story short 7 years later we are now dealing with recurring bruising in his chin and I was wondering if that was related to his Lymphatic Malformation. Now that I've read your blog about your absolutely adorable little girl Courtney I am thinking this might be it. So I just wanted to tell you thanks for potentially solving our little problem. :) I am going to contact the Dr. tomorrow.

You can read Brinton's Story and see "before" pics on my blog at:

bowlizzlefamdizzle.blogspot.com/2008/06/brinton.html